Flagger training and certification requirements
From Illinois Department of Transportation Standard Specifications for Road and Bridge Construction:
“701.13 Flaggers. All flaggers shall be certified by an agency approved by the Department.
This flagger certification requirement may be waived by the Engineer for emergency situations that arise due to actions beyond the Contractor’s control where flagging is needed to maintain safe traffic control on a temporary basis.”
Agencies approved by the Department to certify flaggers, as included in Traffic Control Field Manual for IDOT Employees:
- Available Flagger Training Programs for Contract and Permit Work:
- American Traffic Safety Services Association (ATSSA)
- National Safety Council (NSC)
- Illinois Laborers’ & Contractors’ Joint Apprenticeship Program.
- For Local Public Agency Employees:
- Illinois Technology Transfer Center