Click on a state to see the related training information.
Arizona Chapter of National Safety Council National instructor Course – Classroom
- Certification is good for 1 year.
CalTrans Certified Flagger Training – Classroom
- Certification is good for 3 years.
Minnesota DOT Flagger – Train the Trainer – Classroom
- At this time MnDOT does not recognize other states flagger certifications or other organizations flagger training programs including online training. To fulfill MnDOT’s traffic control special provision you must be trained by a MnDOT qualified flagger trainer when working on MnDOT projects.
Minnesota DOT Re-qualification Training for Flagger Trainers – Online
Southeastern Chapter National Safety Council – Classroom
Texas A&M Extension Services Train-the-Trainer Flaggers – Classroom
ATSSA Washington State FIT – Classroom
- The WA State FIT course is designed to teach students how to effectively teach flagger courses, emphasizing skills and techniques for teaching the fundamentals of flagging. Individuals successfully completing the FIT will be recognized as ATSSA Certified Flagger Instructors both in WA and nationally.
ATSSA Flagger Instructor Training (FIT) – Classroom
- This train-the-trainer course emphasizes skills and techniques for teaching the fundamentals of flagging. Students are provided with all the information needed to present the four-hour ATSSA flagger certification training course.
- To become FIT certified in Virginia, the TCT course is not required. To become FIT certified in WA, the WA state-specific FIT course is required. To teach flaggers in FL, only the FL Intermediate or Advanced course is required.
Other Flagger Training
Arizona LTAP Basic Work Zone Traffic Control / Flagger – Classroom
- Classes are formed based on request.
Global Environmental Network, Inc Traffic Control Coning & Flagging – Classroom
UC Berkeley Institute of Transportation Studies Traffic Control for Safer Work Zones – Classroom
- One-day Traffic Control for Safer Work Zones course is designed to keep the workers and public safe during road construction and maintenance, utility work, landscaping and railway maintenance work along roadways in California.
Evergreen Safety Council Pilot Car and Flagging – Classroom
- Getting a Colorado Pilot/Escort Vehicle Operator Certification allows you to operate in the following states: Colorado, Utah, Washington, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Georgia, Oklahoma, Minnesota, Arizona, Texas, Kansas, and Florida.
ATSSA Florida Intermediate Refresher – Classroom
- Not exclusively a flagger course, refresher courses are required every four years for all persons to continue to be qualified to perform their assigned duties. Persons who have maintained current certification from an approved provider may take a training or refresher course to comply with this procedure.
ATSSA Florida Advanced Refresher – Classroom
- Not exclusively a flagger course, refresher courses are required every four years for all persons to continue to be qualified to perform their assigned duties. Persons who have maintained current certification from an approved provider may take a training or refresher course to comply with this procedure. Flagging operations will be covered in enough detail that a person who successfully completes this course is capable of providing basic flagging training in the State of Florida.
ATSSA Florida Advanced Training – Classroom
- Not exclusively a flagger course, covers requirements for traffic control supervisor, prereq 1 year work zone experience.
Metro Florida Safety Council Maintenance of Traffic – Flagger – Virtual
University of Florida Transportation Institute Florida Pilot/Escort Flagging – Virtual
- This is not an exclusive flagger course, but contains flagger requirements for pilot/escort oversized roads in Florida. Qualification is good for 4 years.
University of Florida Transportation Institute Florida Pilot/Escort Flagging Refresher -Virtual
- Renew qualification for pilot escort of oversized loads in Florida.
Illinois Public Works Mutual Aid Network and IDOT Flagger Training – Virtual
Louisiana LTAP Work Zone Safety with Basic Flagging – Virtual
New Jersey Department of Labor Flagger Training for Construction, Maintenance and Utilities – Classroom
- This interactive training emphasizes practical experience, and is a standard program developed by the Institute for Transportation Research and Education of North Carolina State University.
Cornell Local Roads Program Work Zone Safety and Flagging Tutorial – Virtual
- This tutorial is intended as refresher training for New York State rural town, county, and village public works crews, Highway Superintendents, and their seasonal laborers.
NC LTAP Flagger Training – Classroom and Virtual
- Part of the “Roads Scholar” program, courses are offers through NC LTAP.
North Dakota Safety Council Flagger Training – Virtual
- Required for all flaggers and flagger supervisors in the state. Must take the course every year.
Ohio LTAP Flagger Training – Classroom
- This is a basic training in the area of flagger training. It has been designed for someone learning the first steps in performing flagger duties. This training does not go into individual State flagger training or certification requirements.
Tennessee Transportation Assistance Program Flagger Training – Classroom or Virtual
- Must make arrangements to schedule a class if there are no listings on the training calendar.
Utah Department of Transportation The Flagger / El Abanderado o Banderillero – Video
- This Spanish-language video is a component of a flagger certification program.
University of Wisconsin Transportation Information Center Work Zone and Flagger Safety
- Learn about safe flagging operations and applications for urban and rural situations and for low-speed and high-speed roadways. This course does not provide flagger training in sufficient depth and length to meet WisDOT flagger certification requirements for work on state highways.
National Highway Institute Flagger Training – Virtual
- This is a basic training in the area of flagger training. It has been designed for someone learning the first steps in performing flagger duties. This training would be useful as a refresher course for all employees involved with work zone traffic control where flaggers are utilized.
- This training does not go into individual state flagger training or certification requirements.
National Safety Council Work Zone Flagger Training (Novice) – Classroom
- Must request scheduling
OSHA and Texas Engineering Extension Service (TEEX) Flaggers in Work Zones
- Available in English and Spanish
AASHTO T3 Maintenance of Traffic for Supervisors – Virtual
- This training focuses on the design of a traffic control plan, and how and why its needed in the work zone. One of the five modules covers Flagger Operations.
AASHTO T3 Maintenance of Traffic for Technicians – Virtual
- The Maintenance of Traffic for Technicians training presents information about the placement of, field maintenance required for, and inspection of traffic control devices. In addition, drafting work zone traffic control plans and flagger operations are discussed.
Occupational Safety & Environmental Assoc., Inc. Work Zone Safety / Flagging
- Specific cities in New York, North Carolina and CA
- Overview of Controlling Silica Exposure in Work Zones
- Internal Traffic Control Plans (2022)
- The New Work Zone Clearinghouse Web Site (2022)
- Sight Distances for Work Zones (2022)
- Preventing Caught-in Incidents by Using Lockout Tagout
- Preventing Caught-in or Entanglement Incidents in Work Zones
- Preventing Caught-in or Crushed Incidents in Work Zones
- Just in Time Video Series: Safe Mounting and Dismounting of Large Mobile Equipment (2022)
- Work Zones Are a Sign to Slow Down (PSA) (2022)
- Avoiding Caught-in Hazards (2022)
- Just in Time Video Series: Retroreflectivity (2022)
- Just in Time Video Series: Electrical Safety Near Utility Power Lines / Series de Videos Justo a Tiempo: Seguridad eléctrica Cerca de Líneas Eléctricas Aéreas (2022)
- Workzone Safety “Dennis” – Life or Death Illinois – IDOT (2019)
- Work Zone Safety “Frank” – Life or Death Illinois – IDOT (2020)
- Work Zone Safety “Frank” – Life or Death Illinois – IDOT (2019)
- Work Zone Safety – Life or Death Illinois (2018)
- Work Zone Safety – Breaking News: It’s Life or Death Illinois – IDOT (2021)
- MoDOT’s Work Zone Awareness Strategies 2021 (2021)
- Work Zone Safety for Maintenance Operations on Rural Highways: Part 6 – Legal Liability (2016)
- Work Zone Safety for Maintenance Operations on Rural Highways: Part 3 – Temporary Traffic Control Zones (2016)
- Safe-D Webinar Series: Development of a Connected Smart Vest for Improved Roadside Work Zone Safety (2021)
- Flagging Safely – Kentucky LTAP and Technology Transfer Webinar (2021)
- Fall Protection – ARTBA Webinar Series Part 1 (2020)
- Avoiding Fatalities: Run Over by a Flat Bed Dump Truck (2015)
- Avoiding Fatalities: Inspector Run Over by an Asphalt Truck (2015)
- Avoiding Fatalities: Struck By a Bus in a Work Zone (2015)
- Avoiding Fatalities: Struck by a Car in a Work Zone
- Avoiding Fatalities: Run Over by an Asphalt Roller (2015)
- Avoiding Fatalities: Run Over by a Bull Dozer (2015)
- Avoiding Fatalities: Police Officer Run Over by a Dump Truck (2015)
- Just in Time Video Series: Avoiding Blind Spots / Series de Videos Justo a Tiempo: Evitando Los Puntos Ciegos (2022)
- Work Zone Education (2020)
- Safety and Temporary Traffic Control for Limited Space Work Zones (2020)
- Sewer Summit – Traffic Control for Your Work Zone 2016 (2020)
- Just in Time Video Series: Fall Rescue Safety / Serie de videos Justo a Tiempo: Seguridad para el rescate en caso de caídas (2022)
- Preventing the Spread of Infectious Diseases on Highway Work Zones / Prevención de la Propagación de Enfermedades Infecciosas en la Construcción Vial (2020)
- Just in Time Video Series: Five Ways Soil Can Hurt or Kill You / Series de Videos Justo a Tiempo: Cinco Formas en las Que los Derrumbes lo Pueden Herir o Matar (2021)
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Temporary Traffic Control Tip Card Recording (2021)
- VDOT: Portable Temporary Rumble Strips Training (2019)
- Portable Temporary Rumble Strips Added to Virginia’s Work Zones (2019)
- Electrical Safety Near Utility Power Lines (2021)
- Struck-by Accidents in Construction/Vehicle Back-Over / Golpes Causados por Accidentes en Construccion/Debido a Vehiculos Retrocediendo (2011)
- Just in Time Video Series: Five Ways Soil Can Hurt or Kill You (2021)
- Under Construction: Trucking in the Work Zone (2020)
- Flagging Operations 1 (2015)
- Automated Flagger Assistance Device (AFAD) and Rumble Strips (2016)
- Automated Flagger Assistant Device (2017)
- Auto Flagger With Mac Lynde (2019)
- Robo Flagger Rules of the Road (2019)
- CDOT Work Zone Flagger Training 2020 (2020)
- Flagger Class 22 Nevers (2017)
- Flagger Class 21 Escape Paths (2017)
- Flagger Class 20 Proper Flagging and Use of the Paddle (2017)
- Flagger Class 19 Using Stop Slow Paddles (2017)
- Flagger Class 18 Using Flags (2017)
- Flagger Class 17 Visibility and 500 Feet (2017)
- Flagger Class 13 Flagger Placement (2017)
- Flagger Class 11 (2017)
- Flagger Class 10 (2017)
- Flagger Class 9 (2017)
- Flagger Class 8 (2017)
- Flagger Class 7 (2017)
- Flagger Class 6 (2017)
- Flagger Class 5 (2017)
- Flagger Class 4 (2017)
- Flagger Class 3 (2017)
- Flagger Class 2 (2017)
- Flagger Class 1 (2017)
- ODOT DBE Flagging Class Part 2 (2014)
- ODOT DBE Flagging Class Part 1 (2014)
- When Luck Runs Out – Professional Flagging Techniques (2020)
- Flagging Operations and Procedures 2014 (2015)
- Just in Time Video Series: Avoiding Blind Spots (2021)
- Just in Time Video Series: Fall Rescue Safety (2020)
- COVID-19 Safety for the Asphalt Pavement Industry (2020)
- Preventing the Spread of Infectious Diseases on Highway Work Zones (2020)
- Work Zone Traffic Control Reviews (2016)
- NIOSH FACE Animated Videos (2015)
- Caltrans Workers Memorial 2019 – Caltrans News Flash #196 (2019)
- Using Social Media to Inform the Public – Caltrans News Flash #188 (2019)
- Work Zone Safety Information Clearinghouse (2018)
- Flagging Procedures (2016)
- VDOT: Flagger Training (2017)
- Traffic Incident Management Operating Guidelines (2012)
- Road Closed Signs: Beware and Be Aware (2014)
- Construction Zone Safety: Our Responsibility (2014)
- The Basics for Work Zone Flaggers (2012)
- Three Lane Work Zone Safety (2012)
- Two Lane Work Zone Safety (2012)
- Work Zone Safety 2012 Event (2012)
- Norton Road Construction Work Zone Safety (2015)
- Getting Safely Past the Orange Barrels (2018)