Temporary Traffic Control Devices Policy
Crashworthy Work Zone Traffic Control Devices
The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) requires that all work zone traffic control devices on the National Highway System be crashworthy. This section provides links and information on national policy guidance, procedures for getting devices crash tested, and FHWA acceptance letters on the devices that have been deemed crashworthy.
- Work Zone Devices website
Memos and Information Related to MASH Implementation
- Status of American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) MASH Implementation
Includes a graph showing the status of whether states have or will have a policy in place that requires installation of the safety hardware.
- Memo SUBJECT: ACTION: Eligibility of Crash Cushion Devices (Manual for Assessing Safety Hardware [MASH]16 sunset date)
- Memo SUBJECT: INFORMATION: Change to the December 31, 2018, sunset date in the AASHTO/FHWA Joint Implementation Agreement for the AASHTO Manual for Assessing Safety Hardware, 2016 Edition
- Memo SUBJECT: INFORMATION: Change to the June 30, 2018, sunset date in the AASHTO/FHWA Joint Implementation Agreement for the AASHTO Manual for Assessing Safety Hardware, 2016 Edition
- Memo SUBJECT: INFORMATION: Clarifications on Implementing the AASHTO Manual for Assessing Safety Hardware, 2016 Edition
- Memo SUBJECT: INFORMATION: Clarification of Roles and Responsibilities in Implementing the AASHTO/FHWA Joint Implementation Agreement on the AASHTO Manual for Assessing Safety Hardware (MASH)
- Memo SUBJECT: INFORMATION: AASHTO/FHWA Joint Implementation Agreement for Manual for Assessing Safety Hardware (MASH)
- Memo SUBJECT: Eligibility of Construction and Highway Safety Equipment Acquisition Costs as a Direct Charge
- MASH Implementation Information
- Implementation of AASHTO’s Manual for Assessing Safety Hardware (MASH) 2016
- Order Manual for Assessing Safety Hardware from AASHTO Store
Product Testing and Evaluation
This information provides links to websites of those agencies or programs that provide equipment testing or evaluation services. It also includes links to evaluation reports of products or technologies.
- AASHTO – National Transportation Product Evaluation Program
Provides engineering for the testing and evaluation of products, materials, and devices that are commonly used by the AASHTO member departments of transportation.
- AASHTO Product Evaluation List
Provides a repository consisting of findings from the evaluation and testing of new, innovative, and/or proprietary engineered transportation products and materials. Contains AASHTO Evaluated Products, State Evaluated Products, and State Proprietary Products.
Guidance for Installation and Maintenance
- Installing and Maintaining Crashworthy Work Zone Traffic Control Devices
A guidance document developed by the American Road and Transportation Builders Association Work Zone Safety Consortium under an FHWA Work Zone Safety Grant
Information provided by the National Work Zone Safety Information Clearinghouse does not necessarily reflect the views of the FHWA or the American Road & Transportation Builders Association-Transportation Development Foundation. References to specific resources or products do not imply endorsement by the clearinghouse or FHWA.
To submit information to be included in the equipment database, please contact us.