Use of police on construction projects
Below is a link to the executed contract with Florida Highway Patrol for speed enforcement in work zones. Refer to page 10 of the pdf document for the method of compensation. This is not part of the Contractor’s bid. Florida’s Project Managers are responsible for making arrangements for the need, not the contractor. Florida has entered into similar contracts with some County Sheriffs and City Police. Select “Executed FHP Hireback Contract — BDI55” at the following link:
Florida has a requirement in the Specifications (see the website below) that requires the use of a Traffic Control Officer under certain conditions as follows:
“102-7 Traffic Control Officer.
Provide uniformed law enforcement officers, including marked law enforcement vehicles, to assist in controlling and directing traffic in the work zone when the following types of work is necessary on projects:
- Directing traffic/overriding the signal in a signalized intersection.
- When Design Standards, Index No. 619 is used on freeway facilities (interstates, toll roads, and expressways) at nighttime for work within the travel lane.
- When Design Standards, Index No. 655 Traffic Pacing for overhead work is called for in the Plans or approved by the Engineer.
- When pulling conductor/cable above an open traffic lane on limited access facilities, when called for in the Plans or approved by the Engineer.
- When Design Standards, Index No. 625 Temporary Road Closure 5 Minutes or Less is used.”