2003 ARTBA-TDF Annual ReportAbstract:
Established in 1985 as a 501(c)3 tax-exempt entity to promote transportation construction education and research initiatives, the ARTBA-TDF has a host of programs that benefit the U.S. transportation construction industry. With a comprehensive program of work in 2003, the Foundation:
– Successfully reached the $1 million fundraising pledge ARTBA made in 2001 to support the Smithsonian National Museum of American History’s (NMAH) “America on the Move” transportation exhibition.
– Provided scholarships to the children of highway workers killed on the job to help support their post high school education. Nearly 30 scholarships to students in a dozen states have been awarded since 2000.
– Spurred increased industry utilization of the National Work Zone Safety Information Clearinghouse, with the facility handling more than 70,000 information requests annually.
– Sponsored the Texas Transportation Institute’s annual “Urban Mobility Report’ and played the key industry role in the planning and execution of a Capitol Hill news conference to release the results, which received extensive national and local media coverage.
– Sponsored national conferences on traffic congestion and the importance of transportation investment to the American economy.
– Presented awards to several dozen industry firms and organizations in recognition of their outstanding contributions to environmental protection and mitigation, efforts to enhance the transportation construction industry’s image and programs that help improve roadway construction zone safety.