Workshop on Synthesis of Improved Sets of Safety MeasuresAuthor/Presenter: Kanellaidis, George
The present Deliverable 3 reports on the work carried out within ARROWS Workpackage 3 (Workshop on Synthesis of Improved Sets of Safety Measures). The report includes a detailed record of the two-day Workshop, held in Athens (GR) on the 24th and 25th November 1997 (ARROWS Milestone III) and attended by ARROWS consortium members, the responsible officer of the European Commission, and representatives from national administrations, contractors, universities, and research institutes from all across Europe. Deliverable 3 also includes a summary of the proposed improvements to the existing state of practice that arose from the Workshop.
The Workshop consisted of the following sessions, presented in chronological order:
- Opening Session: Strategy and policy aspects of road work zone safety
- Session A: The designer’s viewpoint: Road work zone safety measures, standards and practices
- Session B: The user’s viewpoint: Behavioural and safety aspects of road work zones
- Session C: Effectiveness of road work zone safety measures
- Supplement to Session B: Presentation of initial results of the scenario construction process
- Session D: Implementation issues
- Closing Session: Towards the ARROWS Framework
Each session included presentations by both ARROWS Consortium members and guest participants, followed by a round of discussion. The report is based on the audio recording of the Workshop, the presentation texts / outlines supplied by participants, and the notes taken by the sessions’ rapporteurs and NTUA team members.