Utility Work Zone Traffic Control: Instructor GuideAbstract:
This Instructor’s Guide provides background material keyed to a set of Powerpoint slides to aid in the presentation of this program to various audiences. The program provides an introduction to utility work zone operations and presents recommendations for several important aspects of safety related to utility work, including the establishment of a safety culture in the organization; the use of uniform and consistent traffic control devices and systems; and the development of a set of typical temporary traffic control plans (TTCP) that are appropriate for specific types of work sites.
Management and Safety Officials Module:
– Why follow the Guidelines?
– Utility Work Zone Traffic Control and Safety/Positive Guidance/Driver Expectancy
– Agency-Wide Safety Culture–What? Why? How?
– Training, Knowledge Retention and Retraining Issues
Utility Workers, Foreman and Supervisor Module:
– Recommended Traffic Control Devices and Why?
– Suggested Traffic Control Plans / Pedestrian Issues
– How Do You Select a Proper Traffic Control Plan?
– Case Study – In Class Exercises
– Demonstration of Software Program
Utility field personnel and supervisors responsible for temporary traffic control.
Electronic files only
Publication Date: 2009
Full Text URL: Link to URL
Below are links to two presentations, which may be used to conduct a training program on the Utility Work Zone Traffic Control Guidelines. The presentation for the Morning Session is used as Management and Safety Officials’ Module and the presentation for the Afternoon Session is used as Utility Workers, Foremen, and Supervisors’ Module.
Topics: Maintenance Practices; Temporary Traffic Control; Traffic Control Plans