Walter Workzone Speaks up About Lane ClosuresAbstract:
To prepare a traffic control plan for a short-term lane closure using flaggers on a two-lane, two-way rural road, follow these 9 steps:
1. Select the appropriate Typical Application from the Texas Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices.
2. Sketch the section of the road where the work is to be performed.
3. Sketch the work space.
4. Determine the distance from the work space to the “closed lane” flagger, and sketch in the closed lane flagger location.
5. Sketch a 50 to 100-ft taper from the “closed lane” flagger to the centerline of the road.
6. Sketch in the position of the “open lane” flagger.
7. Determine the signs and sign spacing from the Typical Application and sketch in these signs and distances.
8. The planned flagger locations should be checked in the field with respect to visibility.
9. The locations where the initial signs are to be placed should also be checked in the field for appropriate visibility.