Safe and Effective Use of Law Enforcement Personnel in Highway Work Zones: Pocket GuideAbstract:
This pocket guide explains work zone operations and outlines roles and responsibilities. It contains guidelines and concepts developed from the MUTCD and meetings of the work zone law enforcement training steering group. These guidelines are intended to help law enforcement and transportation agencies provide more efficient traffic control, prevent crashes and save lives.
Common pitfalls when using law enforcement officers in highway work zones include:
- Lack of communication between work zone participants (project owner, workers and officers)
- Lack of understanding of each other’s roles and responsibilities
- Lack of planning and coordination
- Inadequate training of law enforcement personnel in traffic control procedures within highway work zones
- Officers’ lack of knowledge and proper work zone standards, guidelines and procedures
This guide addresses these pitfalls utilizing simple, non technical language. It is designed to be used as a field reference, to be carried by officers assigned to work in highway work zones for quick consultation.
Publication Date: 2009
Full Text URL: Link to URL
Publication Types: Manuals, Policies, Guidelines, and Handbooks, etc.
Topics: Lane Closure; Law Enforcement; Mobile Operations; Road Closure; Short Duration; Temporary Traffic Control; Traffic Control Devices