Studies to Develop Guidelines for Work Zone Barrier Use on FreewaysAuthor/Presenter: Ullman, Gerald L.; Rista, Emira
This report describes research efforts to:
- Investigate the issues affecting temporary barrier deployment in work zones with constrained cross
- Identify and evaluate available options to potentially address those issues.
- Develop improved guidelines regarding barrier deployment on Texas freeways.
- A review of literature relevant to the deployment and use of barriers in work zones and Texas work zone
crashes to better understand any direct or indirect influence of barrier presence.
- Surveys of key stakeholders to identify the state of the practice in barrier use and road user perceived
difficulties in traveling through various types of work zones with barriers.
- Field evaluations of multiple barrier deployments on freeway work zones in constrained cross sections to
identify deployment issues.
- Development of analytical approaches to help guide work zone designers and other project staff when
making work zone barrier deployment decisions.
A stand-alone set of recommended guidelines was prepared and is included as the appendix to the report.