Podcast 12: Wake Up! Using Temporary Rumble Strips in Work Zones to Improve Driver Alertness
This podcast is an introduction to the concept of portable rumble strips and serves as a companion to the guidance document entitled “Guidance for the use of Temporary Rumble Strips in Work Zones.” The focus will be on how portable rumble strips are different from permanent rumble strips and how they are applied in work zones in a temporary capacity. The podcast will outline the benefits of portable rumble strips and how they can be an effective safety device and function as a work zone crash countermeasure. The podcast will highlight applications and best practices.
- What portable rumble strips are and how they are used in work zones.
- Work zone applications and best practices.
- Discussion of the different types of rumble strips.
- Best practices and operational guidance for portable rumble strips.
- Potential problem areas
- Examples of best practice for flagging operations.
- Other considerations.
Podcast (.wav file)
The audience for this podcast is State and local DOT practitioners, engineers, or safety professionals. This podcast will benefit agency staff responsible for work zone policy development and those involved with establishing a work zone safety program.
Publication Date: 2015
Website: Link to URL
Record Types: Podcasts
Topics: Temporary Rumble Strips; Temporary Traffic Control